As reviewer of journal manuscripts and conference papers I normally look to see if the piece before me answers the following questions:
1. WHAT-WHY: What is the scientific problem at hand and why is important?
2. WHO-WHAT-WHY: Who proposed what previous solutions and why are these inadequate or incomplete?
3. WHAT-YOUR-WHY: What is your proposed solution and why is better?
4. HOW-WHAT: How is the solution implemented and what are the benefits or practical applications?
5. PROS-CONS-WHAT: What are the possible pros and cons of your solution and what are the next areas of research?