After uploading the Levenshtein Edit Distance Tool I received several recommendations for its implementation. No doubt that this is a simlarity measure for the masses. Here is a current list.
The Levenshtein Edit Distance Algorithm can be used:
- for automatic marking of musical dictations.
- for regular expressions approximate matching.
- to identify if two genetic sequences have similar functions.
- to filter blocks of email lists (candidate spam addresses) within a LED threshold value.
- as the ultimate baby name explorer.
- to name products and services like domains, brands, etc.
- to conduct fuzzy search matches in EXCEL or your preferred environment.
- for spamdexing search engines – by randomly converting text into gibberish.
- for spam stemming search engines – by systematically appending edits to valid stems.
- as part of a spell checker routine.
- to identify duplicated content and plagiarism.
Got an idea, suggestion, or reference? Let me know. In the meantime, here is a nice tutorial: